At the beginning of the year, I always take great pleasure re-reading these 45 life lessons written by Regina Brett.
If you haven’t read Regina Brett’s books, treat yourself to one right now here. She has published several books including 50 lessons for Life’s little detours, 50 lessons for finding fulfilling work and 50 lessons to find and hold onto happiness.
#43 is my motto.
I agree with #9.
I love #12 (it is so true!) and I dedicate #19 to my mum who keeps every valuable gift for a special occasion, despite telling her to use it and enjoy it…
Which are your favourite life lessons?
- Life isn’t fair but it is still good.
- When in doubt, just take the next small step
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Pay off your credit card every month.
- You don’t have to win every agreement. Agree to disagree.
- Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
- Save for retirement, starting with your first paycheck.
- When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
- It’s ok to let your children see you cry.
- Don’t compare your life to other’s. You have no idea what their journey is about.
- If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
- Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living or get busy dying.
- You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
- A writer writes. If you want to be a Writer, write.
- It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
- When it comes to go after you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Overprepare then go with the flow.
- Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
- The most important sex organ is the brain.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In five years, will this matter?”
- Forgive everyone everything.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you’re sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
- Believe in miracles
- Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
- Growing old beats the alternative __ dying young.
- Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
- Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
- If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone’s else, we’d grab ours back.
- Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
- All that truly matters, in the end, is that you loved.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- The best is yet to come.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
- Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.