Like many of us during the Covid-19 lockdown, I turned to cook and baking.
I’m not a natural Cook.
In fact, I usually feel I don’t have time to do things in the kitchen and I’m known for walking away from the hob and leave things to burn.
However, these past few weeks, things have changed a bit. I have cooked and baked a lot more and the crazy thing is, I no longer hate the whole thing.
I’ve always admired my sister-in-law and mother-in-law in New-Zealand for their abilities to make muffins, scones, and other delicious things while we were sipping a cup of tea.
They made it so easy…
So now that I had a new-found love for cooking, I wanted to try a few recipes that Mila would love without them being a total sugar bomb.
These intense cocoa muffins without added sugar were perfect. I highly recommend eating these muffins warm with a bit of yogurt. If you don’t want to be tempted, just keep a couple out and freeze the rest for another day the kiwi way.
You will need:
- 110g of flour (371 calories)
- a teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs (140 calories)
- 50g cocoa powder (190 calories)
- 100g butter (700 calories)
- 1 yogurt like Activia (110 calories)
- 120g Medjool dattes pitted and cut into pieces (345 calories)
- 1 ripe banana (25 calories)
- total calories= 1881 calories for the whole recipe
LATEST THINGS I LOVE
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and butter your muffins tin
- Mix everything in a robot
- Pour the mixture into the muffins tin and cook in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take them out and wait for 15 min to cool down before unmolding them
Calories per portion will depend on the size of your muffin tin. I usually manage to make about 9 muffins so that 1881/9 = 209 calories per muffin.
Unsweetened cocoa powder brings an intense touch of chocolate flavour without adding sugar or fat. Medjoul dates are a great option for natural sugar. They are tasty and a great source of minerals (magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, zinc, calcium, manganese) and have an alkaline action on the body. Let me know what you think if you make them.